Saturday, February 02, 2008

Winning is over rated!


Most people have never seen my competitive side. However, put me into a good game of Mario Party, well, Mario anything, and it just may shock you. I turn from the adorable Brian that everyone loves, in to the scariest thing you will ever see. But this post has nothing to do with that, in fact, it has nothing to do with Jenga either. I just wanted you to all see how tall the tower was right before I lost to my wife the other night. And that is the issue I would like to address to you....the art of losing.

Any of my close friends would know that I will do almost anything for the story. For example, three years ago we had just finished the "Thanksgiving Rounds". We had literally cooked three thanksgiving dinners, and could not bear the thought of making our own. Because of that, we decided to enjoy a nice dinner out at....Chuck o Rama! I cannot even begin to tell the stories generated from being around "Buffet" folk on a family holiday. For the first time in a long time, I felt under dressed, and it was at a chuck o rama. But I digress!

For exampleThe first reason that I love to lose, is that no one questions the validity of the story. Or in other words, it is easier to lie. Am I right? Just think about it, anytime you hear some outlandish story with a happy ending, you think "Sure you did!" But if your story ends in tragedy, the audience is so stunned that you are telling them your failures, they assume the rest of the story to be true., I once picked up the 7-10 Splits in bowling....(All of you are going "yeah right") But if I would have said that one time I picked up 7-10 split, but I crossed the foul line so the stupid computer didn't count it......everyone is thinking...poor, poor Brian.

The second reason lies deep within my love for drama. The winners victory dance is considered vain and prideful, usually creating ill will towards the person. The losers dance is completely acceptable, and usually a lot more funny.

If all winning does is create unbelief and ill will, I choose to lose! That said, I did not choose to lose at Jenga last night. I had removed the final legal piece (Took me a good five minutes) and the stupid dog bumped the table as I was placing it on top. I was framed!!!!!!

3 comments:

valerie b said...

My first request in "life after death" will be for a replay of that 7-10 split. You may be the underdog, but we know you are just getting ready to go over the top.

Brian said...

And there will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth

Lisa Brown said...

I also become a crazy competitive person when I play games/sports. The only times I have ever sworn were at your brother during a heated board/card game :).